In no particular order:
1. Faith of the Early Fathers: Volume 1 by William Jurgens – learn straight from early Christians’ writings, some of whom even learned directly from the Apostles
2. Jesus of Nazareth – Volumes 1 and 2 – these two books by Pope Benedict XVI provide an amazing, biblical exegesis of Our Lord’s life and death. Worth the read no matter your denomination!
4. Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila – a masterful book on prayer
5. A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God’s Covenant Love in Scripture by Scott Hahn – great explanations about sacrifices in the OT. Will also help you better understand the importance of the OT for you and your life
6. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis – in a world that by and large doesn’t believe in the Devil, this is a book everyone needs to read
7. Back to Virtue: Traditional Modern Wisdom for Modern Moral Confusion by Peter Kreeft – one the simplest, clearest, writings on the Beatitudes I’ve ever read
8. The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of Christian Faith by Timothy Keller – everyone is familiar with the parable of the prodigal son, but this book gives it a new spin that will really make you examine how you’re living your life as a Christian
9. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer – a serious, hard look on how to live as a disciple of Christ – with no sugar-coating
11. The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis
12. Living Love: A Modern Edition of Treatise on the Love of God by St. Francis de Sales and Bernard Bangley (ed.) – a fantastic abridged and modernized version of St. Francis de Sales classic work (and my favorite of the saint’s many gems!)
13. The History of the Church by Eusebius – early Christian history, fascinating and inspiring
14. With Jesus: The Story of Mary Co-Redemptrix by Mark Miravalle - learn about Mary and how she can bring you closer to Jesus!
15. The Practice of the Love Jesus Christ by St. Alphonsus Liguori – an absolutely beautiful meditation on Christ that will undoubtedly increase your love for Him! Highly recommended for meditation!
16. Making Sense Out of Suffering by Peter Kreeft
The following picks were reader generated (thanks to everyone who commented or e-mailed me suggestions!):
17. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
18. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
19. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
20. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney